Friday, May 8, 2009

Not My Mother's Cup of Tea

First off, I'd like to apologize for the tardiness of this post, I wrote it about a month or so ago and never got around to publishing it until now.  

Around here we try to plan inexpensive adventure filled vacations due to the fact that my family still has four students and a father who believes "if it doesn't hurt a little (or a lot) it isn't worth your time."  Therefore, much to my mothers dismay my family goes on bike trips for weeks on end with nothing but a bag of necessities and a few power bars.  We've tempered Dad's completely exhausting adventures a little and now with toddlers and babies in tow, we go high up in the mountains in freezing temperatures and camp in lieu of bike trips.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a tad, we did have a cabin waiting for us up yonder, but there was a 7 mile snowmobile ride in, which 9 month old Boston was not very fond of.  Boston is not a snowmobile baby.  It is rather difficult to hold onto 25 pounds of bouncing boy, and I'd love to see you try to zip up that chunk in your coat.  After 10 minutes of solid wailing, he fell asleep (or passed out we're still not sure).  The cabin is owned by my brother-in-law's parents.  A little shout out to the Evans family for providing the shelter!  It was rather cold inside the 30 year old cabin when we arrived, but once the fire was a cracklin' we were happy campers, quite literally.  The only thing of note, other than the frigid temperatures, were the frozen flies that came to life as the cabin began to warm. And there were a whole lot'a them.  I think being frozen and thawed and frozen and thawed so many times has to cause some sort of genetic defect. 

The remainder of the trip was all fun, while we crammed into the front room and had a giant sleepover(the other rooms were freeeezing!).  The land was as magnificent and peaceful as it comes.  We found an amazing sledding hill, went snowshoeing up to a mountain lake, and played games while sipping hot chocolate at night.  So I suppose I was wrong, this trip was different than our childhood vacations. . . I didn't cry once.

  Boston and his cute rosy cheeks.  Who doesn't love a baby in a beenie?


Matt stoking the fire and keeping us cozy.


The bib says it all! (Stud!)


Kristi doing what Kristi does best.  


Amy using Camden for his body warmth.


Late night grins


Dad making his best "elk" face.


The famous shades in action.


Andy and Cam lovin' the horses


Camden's new best friend.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

We were totally blogging at the same time! I just love that picture of Camden & the horse. He is so cute! You know it doesn't look like there is enough snow to snowmobile on? So - Steve's parents bought our baby some "Stinky Ute Red" gear today. Do you think your kids will beat him up?

Corrigan Clan said...

Yep, you betta tell him to watch his back. The pics of the horses were down in Kamas before we went up to the cabin, there was more snow up there. Would Steve be opposed if I made him a cougar blanket?

Kellie Hansen said...

that looks like fun! I remember hearing about how freezing it was from kristi. oh my gosh this makes me miss all of you wilsons!!

Sarah Stout said...

Good for you for being willing to make a trip up there with your two kids! It looks like you guys had quite the trip. :)

janel said...

I think having all 7 girls crying on a trip was more than my dad could handle back in the day, so he learned to temper his vacation plans. Unfortunately, we will never have the huge calf and hamstring muscles you guys do!

Danielle said...

Ha, "if it doesn't hurt a lot it's not worth your time"!! That is so funny. I still can't believe the bike trips you guys did. I'm glad this was a little more tempered... your boys are getting so cute. I love those pictures of your boys! If I were still in Utah I would totally hire Amy. Gr.